Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Levi Quilt Project: Part 1

If you are anything like me than somewhere in your house you have a huge pile of old jeans that you have the best intentions of making a quilt out of someday. We are no different. We have been collecting jeans since we first got married. For a long time we had dreams of making a huge camping quilt like my mom's. Well, after my Grandma died I inherited her huge levi quilt, so I didn't need to make one for our family anymore. Even though we now had our own levi quilt, we still had a pile of old jeans sitting in our closet. The last time that we went camping we put the big levi quilt down under the kids and due to the inclement weather wished we had it to put over ourselves. It was at that point that I decided that for Christmas I was going to make twin size levi quilts for each of our kids to use when we went camping. Usually when I start a project like this I have the best intentions but I get stuck somewhere in the middle. Maybe it is the nesting instinct in me since I'm pregnant but this time I decided I was going to finish the project.
After cutting who knows how many pairs of jeans (I know I have six waist bands sitting on my floor) I have all three quilts cut out now. I just have to sew them and find back for two of them. My mom found this really cool piece of fabric at the DI that I am using for the back of one of the quilts but it will have to be a surprise what it looks like!

Anyway.... Wish me luck and hopefully in the next few weeks/months I will have some pictures of finished quilts to post.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I'm excited to follow your levi quilt adventure because I too have a huge pile of jeans collecting dust in the back of my closet! Teach me what you're doing. What size did you cut the pieces?

LIFE IS GOOD! said...

Good Luck on the quilt. Have fun with it. Justin just brought me a garbage bag of levi's.

Avry said...

nope no old jeans at my house. I don't keep ANYTHING ... but the pile of jeans DID end up at my mom's so she can use them for a quilt ;) hahaha..